Tom Ingwers brings over 38 years of energy experience to BBSW. His primary areas of expertise include: negotiating and managing natural gas, power, renewable energy, commodity and infrastructure transactions; management and marketing of energy assets; and the provision of expert witness services in rate cases and litigation matters. Tom also has a wealth of experience negotiating oil and gas leases and associated exploration, operating, and marketing agreements.
Prior to joining BBSW, Tom served as the Vice President of Environmental Products – North America for Shell Energy North America (SENA), Vice President of Origination – West for SENA, and Director of Energy Trading and Contracts for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD). Prior to his time with SENA and SMUD, Tom worked with various oil and gas exploration companies across North America.
Highlights from Tom’s career include:
- Developing the Environmental Products North America business line for Shell Energy, including a new biogas-to-renewable power product and a wind banking and shaping service to assist utilities in meeting the Renewable Portfolio Standard mandated by the State of California.
- Negotiating the purchase of over $1.2 billion in oil and gas properties across North America, including long-life natural gas reserves for SMUD.
- Managing SMUD’s wholesale portfolio of power and gas assets, including 1,700 MW of gas-fired, hydro and wind generation, 560 MW of transmission capacity, 40 MMCF/d of interstate pipeline capacity, 1.5 BCF of gas storage inventory and 150 BCF of gas reserves.
- Negotiating the purchase of a portion of the PG&E California gas pipeline backbone system, Lines 401 and 300, to facilitate SMUD avoiding transport tariff charges while enhancing reliability.
- Serving as Governor on the California Independent System Operator Board during the California energy crisis, Co-Chair of the Transmission Agency of No. California, and on the North America Energy Standards Board and Executive Committee of the Western States Power Pool.
Tom received his Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Colorado State University.